Also they remind motorists that active school zones have a maximum speed limit of 15 mph and they and many other departments intend to be out enforcing those limits for the safety of children.
Passing a school bus with its red lights flashing is a violation of the Pa. Vehicle Code Title 75 Section 3345 and violators could face the following penalties:
*60-Day Driver’s License Suspension
*Five points on your driving record
To see photo examples and learn more about safely sharing the road with school buses visit www.dmv.state.pa.us
Share this information with friends and family as well as newer drivers who may even be driving into school zones as they head to classes.
Please take a moment to review the following safety tips to help ensure our children arrive to and from school safely each day:
- Get to the school bus stop five minutes early, so you won't have to run across the road to catch the bus.
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic. Line up at least five giant steps away from the curb or the roadway to wait for the bus.
- Never run after the school bus if it has already left the bus stop.
- Never push when getting on or off of the school bus.
- Always walk at least 10 feet in front of the bus when crossing so that the school bus driver can see you.
- Be aware - Cross with Care! Wait until the school bus has stopped all traffic before stepping out onto the road.
- When the school bus is moving, always stay in your seat. Never put your head, arms or hands out of the window.
- Talk quietly; do not distract your school bus driver.
- If your school bus crosses railroad tracks, be calm and quiet so that your driver can listen for a train. Always obey your school bus driver's instructions, so that he or she can make safe decisions.
- Never play with the emergency exits. Backpacks, band instruments, or sports equipment may not block the aisle or emergency exits. If there is an emergency, listen to the driver and follow instructions.
- When getting off of the school bus, make sure that all drawstrings and other loose objects are secure so that they don't get caught on the handrail or the door.
- Never cross the street behind the school bus.
- If you leave something on the bus or drop something outside of the bus, never go back for it. The driver may not see you and begin moving the bus.
- Never speak to strangers at the bus stop and never get into the car with a stranger.
PennDOT is pleased to provide a school bus activity booklet (PDF) geared toward elementary students.