The facility which also has ball fields, tennis and bocce courts, community gardens, a skate park and walking trails, opened Friday as Crawford County moved into the green phase which allows for larger crowd gatherings than before. Other public pools in the region, including Oil City and Franklin, announced they will not to open this summer.
According to MARC director Aaron Rekich, who has been at the helm for two years, the staff must do a complete wipe down and sanitation protocols every four hours.
"There were kids lined up waiting for us to open," Rekich said about Friday's opening. Storms leading to cooler temperatures Saturday kept the numbers down, but Rekich said he is expecting people to use the facility this summer.
Most of the MARC's programs will also still be a go this summer with class sizes limited to no more than 25.
"Protecting our guests and employees is our number one priority. With that priority in mind, Meadville Area Recreation Complex is taking numerous steps to reduce the potential for COVID-19 spread in this facility," their website states.
The following guidelines are also spelled out on their website.
"For the health and safety of our employees and guests we ask everyone to follow the following rules:
- Wearing a face mask at all times when inside the lobby, locker rooms, and indoor pool (outside the water)
- Do not enter the facility if you feel ill, have a fever or cough, or are short of breath.
- Do not enter the facility if you have been in close physical contact within the last 14 days with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Abide by physical distancing rules by keeping 6 feet (about two arms lengths) away from others.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Use hand sanitizer before entering the facility.
- If have a medical history that places you in a high-risk category for COVID-19, we recommend that you do not enter
Eight & 322 is an online publication focused on telling stories of the communities in the northwest region of Pennsylvania. To subscribe to the Sunday Edition newsletter, email email@example.com.