“Last year’s inaugural Tourism Awards were about reminding people of just how much the Oil Region has to offer despite the pandemic,” said ORA Communications and Tourism Manager Emily Altomare. “Now we’d like to keep the positivity going by with even more nominees and new winners.”
The nomination period ends Labor Day, Monday, September 5. Anyone can make a single nomination or multiple nominations for any or every category by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by commenting on Oil Region Tourism Awards posts on the ORA’s social media, or by mail to the ORA office at 217 Elm St., Oil City, PA 16301. No nominations will be accepted by phone.
There are eight categories:
- Best Dish is for the best restaurant meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) available in the Oil Region. Nominations must include the restaurant name and the menu item.
- Best Drink is for the best cocktail, coffee or other beverage and will need to include the menu item name and location in the nomination.
- Best Room can be for a specific room or suite at a B&B or homeshare or any room at a specific lodging establishment such as a hotel or motel.
- Best Shop is for retail locations of any kind and does not have to be directly related to the tourism industry.
- Best Industry Advocate is for an individual who regularly sings the praises of the Oil Region, someone who frequently shares hospitality info on social media and encourages attendance at community functions.
- Best Industry Partner/Organization can go to a specific hospitality industry business or an organization that contributes greatly to the offerings of the region.
- Best Must Do Activity or Attraction requests nominations for the best places to go and things to do in the region, such as a museum, festival, or bike path.
- Best Landmark will honor a specific location that guests shouldn’t miss during a visit, such as a monument, oilfield relic, architectural feature, or selfie site.
Winners from 2021 are not eligible for this year's awards. Last year's winners were as follows:
- Both Best Dish and Best Drink were won by the Villa Italia Restaurant in Oil City for their Italian Sub and Peanut Butter Milkshake respectively. (Other items from the restaurant are eligible for the awards.)
- The Caboose Motel in Titusville was the 2021 Best Room winner.
- Cross and Co. Boutique won in 2021 Best Shop category.
- Ashley Zaccari Smith was named Best Advocate in 2021.
- The Be Here program of the Venango Area Chamber of Commerce won in 2021 Best Industry Partner/Organization honor.
- The bike trails were named the Best Activity for 2021.
- Drake Well Museum and Park was named the Best Landmark in 2021.